LATEST

Gov Obiano rewards police operatives  with two million naira for foiling armed robbery attack in the state capital, Awka.
News

Gov Obiano rewards police operatives with two million naira for foiling armed robbery attack in the state capital, Awka.
| June 09th, 2020


Today being Tuesday 9/6/2020 the Executive Governor of Anambra State *His Excellency Chief Willie Obiano* gave a cash reward of Two Million Naira (#2,000,000) to Police operatives who foiled the Robbery attack at Regina Caeli Junction along Enugu-Onitsha Expressway,Awka on the 8/6/2020 in order to boost their morale and encourage others to emulate them.


The security and safety of ndi Anambra remains the priority of the Obiano administration. 


We can never return to the dark days of armed robbery, kidnapping for ransom and  criminality. 


To the glory of God, Anambra is still the safest state in Nigeria courtesy #Obianoeffect



Similarly,the Governor's wife Her Excellency *Chief Mrs Ebelechukwu Obiano*(Osodieme) equally donated Four bags of 50Kg Rice to the police operatives.



The Police operatives comprises of three Inspectors ,Four Sergeants and one Constable attached to Department of operations and MOPOL 29 PMF Awka.




Responding after presenting the cash to the affected officers who were given #250,000 Naira and 25Kg bag of rice each,the Commissioner of Police *CP John B.Abang,fdc* thanked His Excellency Governor Willie Obianor and his amiable wife for motivating the officers.The CP who said the gesture will go a long way in boosting the morale of the officers and encourage them to redouble their efforts.He further assured His Excellency and all "Ndi Anambra" that the Command under his watch will continue to enhance safety and security in the State and deny criminal elements the opportunities to perpetrate their dastardly acts in the State.


*SP Haruna Mohammed,PPRO* Anambra State Police Command,

For-Commissioner of Police Anambra State Command.


Read More
Anambra records 80 rape cases during Covid -19 lockdown
News

Anambra records 80 rape cases during Covid -19 lockdown
| June 09th, 2020


In Anambra, no fewer than 80 cases of rape have been recorded since the lockdown of the country occasioned by coronavirus pandemic.




The worrisome figure was given yesterday at Isuaniocha in Awka North local government area of Anambra State by the director of child welfare services in the state Ministry of Women Affairs, Children and Social Welfare, Mrs. Nkechi Anazodo.

Anazodo, who spoke during the United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF, -supported flag off of integrated child protection community sensitization campaign, said there were only 32 cases of rape in her ministry before the lockdown, adding that the upsurge had necessitated the need for the 10- day state-wide campaign in the 21 local government areas.




Other organizations involved in the campaign programme were the National Population Commission and the National Orientation Agency, NOA, with presidents of the 181 town unions, the churches, traditional institution and the women groups participating.




She said: “Sexual violence has become the order of the day, especially during this period of lockdown. Even old men now rape children of 12 years and below. The problem we have is that people don’t report.

“Last week, a case was brought to us of a 70 year- old man that raped a four-year old child. The case has gone to the police.

“Before the lockdown, we had only 32 cases of rape in the ministry, but the figure recorded within the last few months is over 80. It is unfortunate that some men have left their wives to be having sexual relationship with children less than five years.



“The most worrisome is that some fathers raped their daughters more during the lockdown. In many cases, fathers who rape their daughters threaten to kill them if they report. The problem, therefore, is that many people don’t report these cases because they feel that the victim might be stigmatized.




“That is why we are going round the 21 local government areas of the state to create awareness on this problem.”




According to her, the state government has created a place called ‘task sexual assault centre’ at the Engwu-Ukwu General Hospital purposely for treating rape victims, adding that once any rape victim was brought to the centre, tests would be conducted on her because of the possibility that the child might have been infested with sexually transmitted diseases, STD.




She added: “It is advisable that the victim should be taken to this referral hospital within two hours of the rape for effective result. Treatment and counseling of the victim are free and the identity of the victim is usually well protected. Some people are already making use of the facility, but we want more people to be bringing the reports.



“Once we get any case of rape, we use the police to arrest the rapist and do everything within the law to prosecute the person”.

She urged parents, Presidents General of Town Unions, the clergy, youth organizations, and Non Governmental Organizations, NGOs, to assist in educating the people on the best way to discourage rape.



Anazodo also explained that the Anambra State Child’s Right implementation committee has been properly positioned to handle, among other issues, child abuse of any form


Read More
Resident Doctors to begin Indefinite Strike June 15th
News

Resident Doctors to begin Indefinite Strike June 15th
| June 09th, 2020

The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), will commence an industrial action from next week  Monday, June 15. National President of the association, Aliyu Sokomba, made the disclosure in a letter with reference no 2020/070620/246.



The NARD President said the industrial action had become necessary because  of the failure of the government to fulfill its pledges in the area of salaries and workers welfare. He said the strike would be total and indefinite.


“No service of any kind, be it emergency, care at COVID-19 treatment centres shall be exempted and members including all resident doctors, medical officers below the rank of principal medical officer, and house officers are expected to be part of the strike.” He said, “Consequent upon the 14 days ultimatum duly served the Federal Government for indefinite strike action, in accordance with the resolution of the Ordinary General Meeting of the Association on the 29th of May 2020, we hereby notify you that all resident doctors, medical officers below the rank of Principal Medical Officer (PMO) and House Officers across all the Federal and State hospitals in Nigeria, shall be embarking on a total and indefinite strike action effective 12:01am on Monday, 15th June 2020.


“It is important that you make alternative arrangements for the care of the patients as the strike shall be total and indefinite. “No service of any kind, be it emergency, care at COVID-19 isolation and treatment centres shall be exempted.



Read More
Schools to reopen after ban on inter state movement has been lifted-Minister of Education
Education

Schools to reopen after ban on inter state movement has been lifted-Minister of Education
| June 09th, 2020

Emeka Nwajiuba, Nigeria's Minister of State for Education, has suggested that schools may reopen after the ban on interstate travel has been lifted nationwide.


The ban was placed by the Federal government as part of measures to contain the spread of the novel Coronavirus in the country.





The Minister said this at the daily briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID19 on Monday.




According to the Minister, teachers and students will have to be able to have access to roads to travel back to their schools for academic activities to resume. He also said that schools will not be allowed to open unless medical experts have given their nod for resumption of academic activities.

He Said:

“You heard about neighbouring countries that reopened and shut down again. You have heard about numbers spiking as a result of reopening the schools. Of all the things I would like to do, I wouldn’t want to experiment with your children.

What we are planning is to actually bring in those exit years first as soon as those who are in charge of the blockade lift it because there is no way we can open our schools if teachers cannot come.



So, we are looking at somewhere after when this interstate lockdown is lifted because we need to have that kind of openness for even the children to move” he said.


Read More
Super Eagles Victor Osimhen and Wilfred Ndidi listed among 100 most valuable players in the world
Sports

Super Eagles Victor Osimhen and Wilfred Ndidi listed among 100 most valuable players in the world
| June 09th, 2020

Super Eagles stars Victor Osimhen and Wilfred Ndidi have been valued as one of the top 100 players in the world.



Osimhen and Ndidi were included in biannual list of most expensive players in Europe’s top five leagues released by The International Centre for Sports Studies , known mostly by the initials CIES .



The list by CIES is done with a powerful econometric approach to assess the transfer value of professional footballers on a scientific basis (methodology).



For the just-released list, Lille striker Osimhen is in 66th position and valued at €64.3m, higher than players like Anthony Martial, Tammy Abraham, Raphael Varene etc.

Leicester City midfielder Ndidi who is recognised as one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe is 94th on the list and valued at €50m.



Top five in Africa

Osimhen and Ndidi are the only Super Eagles players on the list and in truth, they are currently the most highly rated Nigerian players.



Osimhen, 21, impressed in his debut season at Lille where he scored 18 goals in 31 games to finish as the club’s Player of the Season.



He was also named in the Ligue 1 Team of the Season for his performances last season. His stock continues to rise as he is admired by a host of big clubs across Europe.

Arsenal , Napoli , Tottenham and Liverpool

are reported to be interested in signing him.

Since he joined Leicester City, Ndidi has seen his stock rise every year with his solid performances for the Premier League club.


Read More
UMUERI  AMUCHE VILLAGE YOUTHS GOES ON PEACEFUL PROTEST, CALLS FOR RESTORATION OF THEIR LANDS AND REMOVAL OF CHAIRMAN
News

UMUERI AMUCHE VILLAGE YOUTHS GOES ON PEACEFUL PROTEST, CALLS FOR RESTORATION OF THEIR LANDS AND REMOVAL OF CHAIRMAN
| June 08th, 2020

UMUERI  AMUCHE NDIUNO VILLAGE YOUTHS STAGED A PEACEFUL PROTEST CALLING ON THE PG NKWELKE-EZUNAKA UNION, THE LOCAL GOVERNMENT CHAIRMAN AND THE STATE GOVERNMENT TO COME TO THEIR AID AS  AUGUSTINE NWOFIA THE FORMER VILLAGE CHAIRMAN COVERTS THEIR RESOURCES TO PERSONAL BELONGING.



UMUERI AMUCHE NDIUNO is a village in NKWELLE-EZUNAKA, OYI L G.A of ANAMBRA STATE. 



According to the youths AUGUSTINE NWOFIA Assumed office on the 2nd January, 2013  his first tenure expired on the 1st January, 2016, then he was reelected on the 2nd January,2016 and the tenure (2nd Tenure) expired on the 1st January, 2019 Since then he refused to conduct election.




After the expiration of his tenure he(Mr.Augustine Nwofia) has allegedly sold parcel of land belonging to the UMUERI AMUCHE NDIUNO VILLAGE without the consent of the principal members 

He has allegedly been collecting revenue from Truck Drivers in the name of the aforementioned village without account of any kind.

He has allegedly hijacked the village property and has been using thugs against his people (Ndi UMUERI AMUCHE NDIUNO) 


Thus the youths of UMUERI AMUCHE NDIUNO village are calling on PG NKWELLE-EZUNAKA, Hon. Areh Onyenze, TC Chairman of Oyi L.G.A Engr. Dr. Nnamdi Nwadiogbu and His Excellency Chief Dr. Sir Willie M. Obiano as a matter of urgency to come to their aid so as to restore peace and order in the village.



According to the youths, it was noted that their lives are in danger as they can no longer walk freely in their own land.the said former chairman also in different occasions has allegedly prevented Ndi UMUERI AMUCHE NDIUNO from farming in their family land, claiming they have been sold and many more horrible, wicked and selfish act.



The PG NKWELLE-EZUNAKA Union and TC Chairman of Oyi L.G.A in their response to the angry youths asked the youths to continue being law abiding as they forward their official petition for government intervention.


Mr. AUGUSTINE NWOFIA SHOULD STAY CLEAR OF UMUERI AMUCHE NDIUNO PROPERTY FOR THE INTEREST OF PEACE.


signed...

Mr. Chinonye Onwuanyi for UMUERI AMUCHE NDIUNO  YOUTHS.


Read More
ANAMBRA STATE GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES CLOSURE OF NIGER BRIDGE ONITSHA FROM 7PM
News

ANAMBRA STATE GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES CLOSURE OF NIGER BRIDGE ONITSHA FROM 7PM
| June 05th, 2020


Anambra State Government wishes to inform the public that effective today, Friday 5th June 2020, COVID-19 enforcement and security teams will be restricting traffic onto the Niger Bridge by 7pm until further notice.




This is as a result of operational curfew hours in place in Delta State which runs from 7pm to 6am.




Curfew in other parts of Anambra state is still from 10pm to 4am. 


All concerned are to take note please.


Announcer 


Professor Solo Chukwulobelu 

Secretary to Anambra State Government 

Friday, 5th June, 2020


Read More
Inec gives reasons why elections won't be postponed
News

Inec gives reasons why elections won't be postponed
| June 05th, 2020

The Independent National Electoral Commission INEC says despite the
threat of COVID-19 pandemic, postponing all scheduled 2020 elections
will throw Nigeria into avoidable constitutional crisis.



INEC also said accreditation of journalists to cover the governorship
elections in Ondo and Edo States as well as the bye-elections will be
done online.



Apart from the Edo and Ondo States governorship elections scheduled
for September nineteenth and October tenth 2020 respectively, INEC
will be conducting ten bye-elections, including the five Senatorial
and four State Assembly bye-elections spread across Nine States of the
federation.



INEC National Commissioner and Chairman of its Information and Voter
Education Committee, Mr Festus Okoye, disclosed this in his speech on
the modalities for Voter Education and Publicity activities during a
virtual meeting with the Media in Abuja.



According to him, sometimes, unexpected situations, events and
circumstances throw countries and nations off balance and present them
with new situations and challenges that seem insurmountable.


Read More
Reps seeks alternative punishment for rapists, rejects castration
News

Reps seeks alternative punishment for rapists, rejects castration
| June 05th, 2020

House of Representatives members on Thursday June 4, rejected castration as punishment for people convicted of rape.



Hon James Faleke made the suggestion during a debate on the motion of increased sexual violence against women particularly the rape and murder of two girls in Oyo and Edo states recently.



The lawmakers who identified “weak institutions, poor enforcement, poverty and unacceptable social practices” as part of the reasons for sexual violence against women, rejected Faleke's suggestion when Speaker of the house, Femi Gbajabiamila subjected it to a voice vote.



Gbajabiamila also asked what would happen to an older female who rapes a younger male. This generated noise in the chamber.

Debating the motion brought forward, the lawmakers condemned the increasing cases of rape in the country which they described as the most common form of violence against women.



They said in addition to the rape cases, Nigerian women also suffer harassment and brutality in the hands of security agencies.

Although the lawmakers voted against castration of rapists as an amendment to the motion, they called for stiffer penalties against persons found guilty of rape.



They also asked the federal government to launch a more effective campaign against rape and other forms of sexual violence against women.


Read More
Diego Costa gets 6-Month Prison Sentence In Tax Fraud Case
Sports

Diego Costa gets 6-Month Prison Sentence In Tax Fraud Case
| June 05th, 2020

Former Chelsea striker, Diego Costa has been sentenced to six months in prison, but due to Spanish law, he will pay a hefty fine to avoid serving the time.




According to court filing published last month, the 31-year-old did not declare payments of just over €5m (£4.4m) from his 2014 transfer from Atletico to Chelsea in his tax return, as well as more than €1m (£900,000) in image rights. He has now been handed a total fine of €543,000 (£482,000).



Due to the fact that Spanish law allows penal sentences below two years for non-violent crimes to be exchanged for a financial penalty, Diego Costa agreed to pay an additional fine of €36,500 (£32,000) on top of the €507,000 (£450,000) to avoid prison time.

My

Speaking ahead of his court visit on Thursday, an Atletico spokesman told Reuters:



‘Diego Costa reached an agreement a few months ago with the prosecutor and has already paid the corresponding fine plus interest and the request for a prison sentence was withdrawn.’

‘This week it is expected that agreement will be ratified in court, as is mandatory.’





Diego Costa joins the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo and ex-Real Madrid manager Jose Mourinho, who all have been involved in tax fraud. None of them served prison time but did pay hefty fines.

Costa has been a bit-part player for Atletico this season, making just eight starts in La Liga and scoring only twice.


Read More
Rafael Nadal shun travel for US Open
Sports

Rafael Nadal shun travel for US Open
| June 05th, 2020

Rafael Nadal would likely be closing in on a 13th Roland Garros title this week. Instead, he is home in Mallorca trying to make sense of a world that feels anything but normal. Speaking via Zoom to tennis media, the day after is 34th birthday, Nadal was asked his thoughts of playing at the US Open, of which he is reigning champion. “If you asked me today if I want to travel today to New York to play a tennis tournament, I will say: no, I will not,” the world No 2 told reporters. “In a couple of months, I don’t know. Hopefully yes.



Read More

SUBSCRIBE TO BLOG VIA EMAIL

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

RECENT POST

CATEGORIES

ARCHIVE

Opinion